Dual Credit - FAQs and Tips

Frequently Asked Questions

What is dual credit?
North Idaho College’s dual credit program provides the opportunity for high school students to earn college credits at reduced rate while still satisfying high school graduation requirements.

What’s the benefit of dual credit?
Saving money and getting a jump-start on your college career while still in high school.

How do I know what level class to enroll in?
The class level you are placed in are based off of your COMPASS, SAT, ACT scores.

What is the cost per credit?
$65 per credit for classes offered on the NIC campus, in the high schools, on the Internet, via interactive video conferencing, or at outreach locations in Sandpoint, Bonners Ferry, and Kellogg. Laboratory/special supply fees are assessed for some courses.

Are scholarships available for dual credit students?
Yes. Dual credit students do not qualify for federal financial aid; however NIC has several scholarships designated specifically for dual credit students.

Tips for Success

  1. Check your MyNIC student email regularly or forward it to one you do. NIC communicates with students through their MyNIC email account.
  2. Your bill is on your student MyNIC account. Paper statements are not mailed to your parents.
  3. Don’t get dropped for non-attendance or non-payment. If you don’t pay for one class, regardless of where the class is taught, you will be dropped from all classes. If you don’t attend the first week of class, you will be dropped. If you are dropped you have a short time period to go through the appeals process and are not guaranteed reinstatement.
  4. When buying books, check with the NIC bookstore to confirm you have the latest information about the books you need. Books change from semester to semester per course.
  5. Check the calendar for your class as your class may be on the NIC calendar or high school calendar.
  6. If you apply and then don’t attend that semester, you will need to reapply to attend.
  7. New dual credit students have their own registration date for classes taught in the high school. Register for classes early.
  8. NIC may need college transcripts from other colleges. If you have taken college classes other than NIC, NIC needs an official transcript from that college (not the high school) to verify the course and grade. You may need to do this if a prerequisite course is needed prior to registering for an NIC class.
  9. Dual credit students are not eligible for federal financial aid. Do not fill out federal financial aid (FASFA) forms.
  10. A Certificate of Residency is needed for students not within Kootenai County. In order to receive county support, you must provide this form to your county clerk’s office. See Dual Credit Tuition in Student Accounts.
  11. Don’t miss classes. Attend everyday possible.  College level classes move at a faster rate than high school classes.