Students who have a documented disability, and are eligible to receive accommodations at NIC, may need to request accommodations to ensure they have equal access. NIC staff and faculty will provide reasonable accommodation such as utilizing special materials and equipment, change testing formats and procedures, and allow classroom adjustments, etc.

Laws Pertaining to Disability Rights

Section 504 of the 1973 Rehabilitation Act 29 U.S.C. 793)

Nondiscrimination under federal grants and programs states:
No otherwise qualified individual with a disability in the United States, as defined in section 7(8), shall, solely by reason of her or his disability, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance or under any program or activity conducted by any Executive agency or by the United States Postal Service. The head of each such agency shall promulgate such regulations as may be necessary to carry out the amendments to this section made by the Rehabilitation, Comprehensive Services, and Developmental Disabilities Act of 1978…”

This law pertains to (2)(A) “a college, university, or other post secondary institution, or a public system of higher education.”

Section 508(a)(1)(a)(ii) states:
Electronic and information technology be available to individuals with disabilities…access to and use of information and data that is comparable to the access to and use of the information and data by such members of the public who are not individuals with disabilities.

Americans with Disability Act (ADA) 1990 : http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada

ADA Title II: State and Local Government Activities

Title II covers all activities of state and local governments regardless of the government entity's size or receipt of Federal funding. Title II requires that state and local governments give people with disabilities an equal opportunity to benefit from all of their programs, services, and activities (e.g. public education, employment, transportation, recreation, health care, social services, courts, voting, and town meetings).


For more information about accommodations for students and employees who have disabilities please click on the links below.  Call CEA (for students) or Human Resources (for employees) for more information as needed.

NIC Policy pertaining to Accommodations 

NIC Procedure pertaining to Accommodations