Determining Eligibility for Services


The first step in the Student Intake Process is to provide documentation of disability to the North Idaho College Disability Support Services office.

The Americans with Disabilities Act states: 
(1) Disability.  The term "disability" means, with respect to an individual

a.  A physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities of such individual;
b.  A record of such an impairment; or
c.  Being regarded as having such an impairment.
(Additional information related to the ADA definition of disability can be found in the following regulations:
ADA, Title 42, Chapter 126, Section 12102)

It is your responsibility to self-identify to DSS that you meet disability requirements and that you are requesting accommodations or other services.  As part of the application process, you will need to submit assessments, evaluations, or other documents completed by appropriate professionals that establish your disability.  Examples of documentation might include, but are not limited to, medical assessments, psychological evaluations, correspondence from counselors or physicians, and/or high school Individual Education Plans (IEPs) that reflect your diagnosis, barriers, and limitations. 

If you believe that you may have a disability that has not been previously diagnosed, you are encouraged to meet with DSS staff to discuss options.  Even though North Idaho College does not provide medical or psychological testing nor pays for those services, DSS may be able to refer you to community resources that may be helpful in establishing whether a disability is present, (at the student' expense).

In instances where the nature of the disability is apparent, (for example, if the student is blind, deaf, in a wheelchair due to a medical condition, etc.), less documentation may be necessary to establish eligibility for services.