FAQ: Keeping Financial Aid
(How do my classes affect my financial aid?)

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress and why is it important?

Federal regulations require North Idaho College to monitor financial aid recipient’s grade point average, completion rate and rate of progression. A student must maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA and 66.67% completion rate.

What is a completion rate?

Completion rate is the total number of credits completed divided by the total number of credits attempted.

What is Maximum Time Frame?

  • For undergraduate students, Federal Student Aid funds cannot be paid to a student who exceeds 150% of the published length of their current degree program. The 150% is measured for NIC and transfer attempted credits.
  • Credit hour requirements vary between programs. We recommend students check the Academic Catalog for the precise number of credits required for program completion, and then multiply the figure by 1.5.

What is the difference between dropping a class and withdrawing from a class? How will these affect my financial aid?

  • Student are allowed to add and drop classes during add/drop periods each semester (1st week of school) without any effect on their financial aid.
  • After the add/drop period is over, all drops with a grade of W (withdrawals) are counted in calculating completion percentage and will impact a student’s financial aid.

What will happen if I withdraw from a class?

Please be aware that withdrawing from a class will affect your completion rate. Please use the attached link to calculate your completion rate: Link

Why am I suspended? I didn't use financial aid for those classes I completed in the past?

  • Per federal regulations, all NIC attempted credits must included in the measurements whether or not the student received financial aid.
  • A students transfer credits must also be included in the calculation of maximum time frame.

How do my repeated credits affect my completion rate?

A student is permitted to receive Federal Financial Aid to retake a course only once after successful completion. For financial aid purposes, successful completion is any grade higher than an F.

How many credits do I need to be satisfactory?

  • Unsatisfactory SAP status is comprised of GPA and completion rate. In order to regain satisfactory status as student must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better and at least a 66.67% completion rate.
  • Please use the completion rate calculator @ http://www.nic.edu/websites/Program/FinancialAid/completionCalc.aspx to calculate how many credits you will need to complete in order to regain satisfactory status.
  • Please use the GPA calculator which is located at www.nic.edu (current students; advising services; current students; GPA Calculator) to calculate your GPA.

Where do I get an appeal form?

  • There are two appeals forms on-line at www.nic.edu/financialaid (forms section)
  • Please choose the appropriate appeal for either maximum time frame or unsatisfactory status.
  • Important! Please include documentation when submitting an appeal form.
  • You may also stop by the Financial Aid Office for a copy of the form.

When will my appeal be reviewed?

Appeals submitted by Tuesday at 5 p.m. will be reviewed that same week by Friday. A decision will be emailed to the students Cardinal Mail including a link to the financial aid probation contract.  

What is the probation contract and how does it affect my financial aid?

The probation contract is the agreement between you and the financial aid office that you will abide by the following stipulations to remain eligible for financial aid: Complete 66.67% of all credits attempted; Earn a 2.0 grade point average; graduate by the date indicated on your appeal; and only take classes which apply to your current program of study. Your contract will be evaluated at the end of each term.

I need to withdraw from college, what do I need to do next?

  • Withdrawing and/or receiving F's or non-passing grades from the college may have both academic and financial aid consequences. You are encouraged to understand the consequences before you decide to withdraw and/or receive F's (or other non-passing grades). Detailed information about the cancellation of registration and withdrawal from the college is available in the policies and regulations applying to all students. If you decide to withdraw, you must follow established withdrawal procedures beginning with completion of a withdrawal form available from the Registrar's Office. (Note: If intend to stop attending all courses after the withdrawal deadline, notify the Financial Aid Office of intent to withdraw).
  • R2T4: If you complete 60% or less of the term prior to withdrawing, you may be required to repay a substantial portion of your federal financial aid through a process called Return to Title IV funds. For more information regarding R2T4 please check out our website @ www.nic.edu/financialaid (Return of Title IV Funds).
  • SAP: Your satisfactory academic progress will be affected by your decision to withdraw from school and you may be required to file a financial aid appeal if you decide to return to school at a later time.
  • Loans: Loan repayment will begin when you cease to be enrolled in 6 credits; therefore, you will be required to complete exit counseling for direct loans @ http://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/. Please check out our website @ www.nic.edu/financialaid (Exit Loan Counseling and Repayment) for more information.
  • Contact Loan Servicer @ www.nslds.gov for information on servicer contact information and where to send payments.

Is there a lifetime limit of financial aid I can receive?

  • It is very important to monitor your financial aid lifetime Pell and Loan limits on the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) @ http://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds as there are financial aid lifetime limits.
  • Pell: 6 full-time semesters (600%)
  • Subsidized Loans: $23,000
  • Combined Loans: $31,000 (dependent student); $57,500 (independent student)