Your Responsibilities

  • You must regularly check your student email account for information from NIC and the Financial Aid Office.

  • Your Federal Pell Grant is in an automatic accepted status and will be applied to your account unless you notify the Financial Aid Office and/or drop your classes before the tuition payment deadline.

  • If you are a dependent student, you must keep your parents or guardians informed of all financial aid requirements and deadlines.

  • You must complete all application forms accurately and submit them on time to the correct location. You must read and understand all forms you are asked to sign and keep a copy of each. You are also responsible for knowing the financial aid reapplication deadlines.

  • You must provide correct information at all times. Reporting false information is a violation of the law and may be considered a criminal offense.

  • You must submit, by the indicated deadline, all additional documentation, verification, corrections and/or new information requested by either the Financial Aid Office or the agencies to which you submitted applications. Some examples include: Federal Tax Returns, verification forms, loan entrance counseling, loan promissory notes, and loan exit counseling prior to leaving school.

  • You must notify us in writing if the information reported on your financial aid application has changed.

  • You must notify the NIC Registrar’s Office and any lenders if there are changes in your name, permanent mailing address, anticipated graduation date, or enrollment status.

  • You must accept responsibility for all agreements that you sign.

  • You must perform the work agreed upon if you accept a Federal Work Study job, and notify your employer if you cease enrollment or the amount of your award changes.

  • You must know and comply with the refund procedures of NIC.

  • You must show Satisfactory Academic Progress according to the established policies and standards of NIC. Failure to do so will result in a loss of eligibility.

  • You must notify the NIC Financial Aid Office in writing if you are receiving financial aid for attendance at another institution while attending NIC.

  • You must notify the NIC Financial Aid Office in writing if you have received financial aid for attendance at another institution and transfer to NIC during the same academic year. 

  • If you are a recipient of a Federal Direct Stafford Loan, you must notify the lender should any of the following occur before the loan is repaid:

  1. You change your address and/or phone number
  2. You graduate 
  3. You withdraw from school or are enrolled less than half time 
  4. You change your name (e.g., maiden to married name) 
  5. You transfer to another college/university

  • You must maintain a satisfactory status on student loans. You may be required, by your lender, to complete deferment forms for loans that were previously in repayment. Students who default on their student loans or owe refunds on federal grants are not eligible for any financial aid.