Saturday, June 15, 2013
Register by Monday, June 10
- Check-in begins at 7:00 a.m.
- Pre-Race meeting: 8:15 a.m.
- Maps Out: 8:40 a.m.
- Go! 9:00 a.m.
- Finish: 2:00 p.m. (5 hours total)
Note: Be sure to be there early because you will be required to transport your kayaks to the boat transition area, check-in for the race, and complete the gear check all before the pre-race meeting.
Beauty Bay Area, Lake Coeur d’ Alene. The race registration, start, and finish will be located at the Beauty Creek Campground. Here are directions from CDA: If heading East on I-90 from CDA, travel approximately 7 miles to the Wolf Lodge/Harrison (Hwy 97) exit. Exit here and go right (south) on Hwy. 97 toward Harrison, ID. The highway will wrap around into Beauty Bay (approx. 2.5 miles) where you will notice Beauty Creek Road just after you pass the Mineral Ridge day use area. Take a left on Beauty Creek Road. The campground is on your right approximately 1 mile from Hwy 97.
Google Map: https://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=47.607646,-116.669049&hl=en&sll=47.60766,-116.66899&sspn=0.003233,0.006968
Camping: Beauty Creek Campground has +/- 20 campsites available on a first-come-first-serve basis. We will be camping here on Friday night before the race. You’re all welcome to join us. Camping is also available nearby at the Wolf Lodge Campground.
Coeur d’ Alene has a wide variety of lodging options. See the following link for more details: http://www.fyinorthidaho.com/
The course is very similar in nature to years past. Expect trail running, paddling (in potentially lumpy seas, think about a spray skirt for your kayak), and mountain biking.
We will be continuing to follow a Rogaine format this year. This means that all racers will start and finish at the same time obtaining as many checkpoints as they can in the time provided (5 hours). Checkpoints will be labeled: Easy, Moderate, and Tough Guy. The point value associated with each checkpoint will reflect its relative difficulty. The team in each division to acquire the most points within the time provided will win.
This course format will challenge everyone. New racers may choose to attain only the "easy" checkpoints while the seasoned vets will find out just how "tough" they really are. There will be three mandatory checkpoints to make sure that each team participates in all three legs of the race. Other than that, this course is what you make it.
The best part about this race format is that all racers will finish together to share post race stories, food and libations.
Important: Get back on time! Teams who finish late will receive a significant point reduction penalty. You will lose 1 point per minute up to 30 (2:30 p.m.) minutes and 3 points per minute after 2:30 p.m!
Total Race Time: 5 hours
- Trail Run: 2 – 9 miles
- Mt. Bike: 6 – 20 miles
- Paddle: 1 – 5 miles
- Special Challenges: along the way
(Your equipment will be inspected prior to and after the race) Need Gear? Contact NIChallenge sponsors: Kayak Coeur d’ Alene (boats), Vertical Earth (bikes), or Bicycle Sales & Service (bikes). Be sure to tell them you’re racing!
Personal Gear that must be present for entire race
- Backpack or waist-pack – each person
- Whistle – each person
- 2 liters of water – each person
- 1 energy bar (more recommended) – each person
- Space blanket – one per team
- First aid kit – one per team
- Compass – one per team
- Light – one per team (must work
- Pen or Pencil – one per team (more recommended)
- Mountain bike (no cross bikes) – each person
- ANSI approved bike helmet – each person
- Spare tube – each person
- Basic bike repair toolkit – one per team
- Bike pump – one per team
- Canoe or Kayak (any paddle boat without oarlocks)
- If you need a kayak, contact us or call Chip at Kayak CDA (208) 676-1533 ASAP!
- If you rented a boat from NIC or Kayak CDA, we will transport it to and from the race course. Be sure to go to the boat transition and get acquainted with your boat before the race.
- Coast guard approved Type III floatation – each person (must be worn at all times while paddling)
- Bailing device
$80.00 Per Person
Early Bird Special - If you register before June 3, you can get in for $70.00 per person!
$25.00 for NIC students, $50.00 for NIC Staff/Faculty
(NIC participants need to register in person in the Outdoor Pursuits office)
Register online at: http://nichallenge.mycustomevent.com