Staff Assembly Meeting Minutes

December 10, 2009 – 2:00 p.m.
Todd Lecture Hall

Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 2:03 p.m. by Alex Harris, Vice Chair.

Approval of Minutes

It was moved and seconded to approve the November 10, 2009 meeting minutes.

Introduction of New Employees

Andreas Burger, SharePoint/Database Administrator– introduced by
Steve Ruppel and Lisa Clark – IT Department


Employee Day Update

Karen Hubbard gave us an update on Employee Day, which is tomorrow Friday, Dec. 11. The day’s focus is on professional, personal, and practical development for NIC employees. The day’s events include:

8 a.m.-Welcome in Boswell Hall Schuler Performing Arts Center
8:15 to 8:45 a.m.-Coffee and pastries in Boswell Hall lobby
8:45 to 10 a.m.-Session 1
10:15 to 11:30 a.m.-Session 2
11:30 a.m. through end of day-Department/Division activities

She encouraged everyone to complete the online survey which will be available for employees to express their thoughts about the event. The results of this evaluation will influence plans for Employee Day next year.

Senate Bylaws Update

Erin Norvell presented the following overview of the proposed Senate equal representation.

In October 2009, the Staff senators made a proposal to amend the Senate by-laws regarding membership so there would be equal representation among the employee groups.

The current Senate membership by-laws read:
The college Senate shall consist of representatives from the following constituent organizations: five Staff Assembly members (SA), ten Faculty Assembly members (FA) and three officers or students from the Associated Students of North Idaho College (ASNIC).

The Staff senators proposed change was:
The college Senate shall consist of representatives from the following constituent organizations: seven Staff Assembly members (SA), seven Faculty Assembly members (FA) and three officers or students from the Associated Students of North Idaho College (ASNIC).

Process so far:
• The Senate discussed the equal representation proposal at the October meeting. During that discussion, it was made clear that the Faculty Assembly voted unanimously to support the proposed amendment (equal representation) – on the condition that a distinction was made in the voting process.
• The Senate voted at the October meeting to table further discussion, pending an ad-hoc committee writing up a voting by-law amendment to be added to the equal representation amendment.
• The committee met and wrote up a draft by-law regarding voting, along the lines of what Faculty Assembly asked for. The equal representation proposal was then amended at the November meeting to include the voting by-law, which is summarized below:

The Senate as a whole will discuss each item that comes before it; however, voting on the passage of a certain policies will be restricted as follows:
• Policies that effect only the terms of employment for one employee group will only be voted on by senators from that particular employee group.
Example: policies regarding tenure can be discussed by all members of the Senate so all perspectives can be heard, but the actual voting would only be done by Faculty senators, as tenure only effects the terms of employment for faculty.
• Policies that effect only curriculum will be voted on by Faculty and Student senators only

Decisions regarding if voting restrictions will be used will be made by the Senate Executive Committee with input from the Staff Assembly Chair and the Faculty Assembly Chair.

Seiter Hall/Village Information

Steve Ruppel had attended a construction meeting on November 8th and reported that the Seiter Hall remodeling project is almost underway. When employees return from the holiday break their offices and classrooms will have been relocated to the Seiter Village. All offices and classes at “The Village” will be numbered the same as Seiter Hall.


BOT Meeting
: Alex Harris reported on the November Board of Trustees meeting. Agenda items were:
• Tab 3: ACTION: Purchase Sale Agreement for Prairie Property Marc Lyons
• Tab 4: ACTION: Acceptance of Grant Deed on 719 Military Drive Marc Lyons
• Tab 5: First Reading/ACTION Policy #5.06 Student Code of Conduct Eric Murray
• Tab 6: ACTION: NIC Head Start Overview Rolly Jurgens / Beth Ann Fuller
• Tab 7: FY11 Budget Development Timeline Rolly Jurgens

Meet and Confer: Alex Harris reported that Meet and Confer had recently met and had discussed coming up with a philosophical statement regarding compensation, rather than a list of “wants” that has been prepared in the past. This statement would be presented to the President and the BOT. Meet and Confer meets again on January 7, 2010.

Good of the Order:

Andrea Woempner reminded everyone that the wellness deadline is December 29, 2009.

It was also reported that the Legislative “send off” reception held on November 9 was a great success.


Adjourned at 2:54 pm. The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, January 14 at 12:00 p.m. in Driftwood Bay.