Staff Assembly Meeting
May 9, 2013 at Noon
Echo Bay/Blue Creek Room, Edminster SUB
Call to Order: Noon
Approval of Minutes: A motion was made and seconded to approve the April 2013 minutes. Motion passed unanimously.
New Employee Introductions: Carol Anderson, the new Senior Administrative Assistant for the Aerospace program was introduced to the group. Welcome Carol.
Guest Speaker: Brandi Mayes, Roots Gathering Garden
Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) sprouted in 2007 to support and embrace produce grown by local farmers and distributed locally. CSA expanded to include a subsidized share plan in 2010. We have now collaborated with Project Safe Place to incorporate teens to volunteer shareholder time to plant, weed, harvest and prepare the produce for distribution. We also work with Crosswalk, a “work-readiness” program for at-risk youth ages 16-19, teaching organic growing techniques, as well as water and soil conservation.
In 2012 we lost our former CSA plot and were offered a plot in NIC’s Education Corridor, now known as the Roots Gathering Garden. We currently have a storage shed and information kiosk built by KTEC instructors and students. We are using Permaculture design techniques. We promote awareness and understanding of the local food shed and are looking forward to educational opportunities with the NIC Children’s Center planting a pumpkin patch and NIC’s Culinary Arts students incorporating local, organic produce into their program.
Biweekly Payroll FAQ’s (Business Office)
Sandra Jacquot discussed many frequently asked questions for our new biweekly payroll starting in July. Please take time now to plan for transitioning your bill payment. If you have automatic withdrawals, you may want to adjust the dates to align with your new pay schedule. Also plan ahead if you have additional amounts withheld from your paycheck. You can view the biweekly payroll calendar at:
There will be mandatory training sessions for employees scheduled on the following dates in Todd Hall:
June 11th at 8 am
June 18th at 11 am
June 19th at 4:00 pm
For more information, contact Sandra Jacquot at extension 3346.
Staff Appreciation Nominee Recognition (Nancy Edwards)
Certificates were given in recognition to all staff appreciation nominees. The Staff Appreciation award winners will be announced at NIC’s commencement breakfast.
Introduction of Officers for 2013-2014 (Garry Stark)
Our new Staff Assembly Officers for 2013-2014:
Garry Stark—Past Chair
New Senators: Nashea Noble, Lynn Covey, Hiedi Schrader
Continuing Senators: Chantel Black, Matt Sebby, Sandra Jacquot, Jon Totten, Adam Mortensen.
Senate Alternates: Mindy Patterson and Josh Gittel.
· Senate--Jon Totten
The draft RIF policy is being handled at an upper level and we should have an update in August. The committee restructuring is underway, with President Dunlap and PC reviewing all committees on campus. Audrey Bourne is the new Senate Chair for next year. In closing, I would like to encourage all employees to get involved in our shared governance—it has been a tremendous learning opportunity for me and I want to thank all of you for your support.
· Board Meeting--Garry Stark
I would encourage you to watch the board meeting on You Tube, especially to watch “Celebrating Success” which featured Jessica Johanson leading our students in the Spring Break Immersion program.
· Open Enrollment (Andrea Woempner): Open enrollment is now through May 31st. You should have received a packet in the mail explaining your options. If you need help enrolling in benefits, we have help sessions scheduled in the ELF room. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
· Wellness Update (Teresa Henderson): The Wellness deadline is also May 31st. Don’t forget to use The Form for those activities requiring it. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
· Professional Development Fund (Erin Norvell): The website will be live after the budget is approved this month. One change is that there will be a flat cap of $15000 per approved cycle. We are also considering adding a summer cycle in May of 2014 if funds allow. We had over $180,000 in Professional Development funds requested last year and issued $50,000.
· Commencement (Chantel Black): The gym floor has been completed and we are ready to go for graduation this Friday at 10:00 am. The gym has 1,735 seats, and we are also going to telecast graduation on Channel 19, with an additional 400 seats set-up in the Student Union Building.
To Sarah Johnson from Linda Michal—Thank you for your willingness to coordinate the Expand Your Horizons program on May 4th. It was a wonderful opportunity for young women.
To Lynn Kinson, Paula Czirr, and Pat DeSmet, from Linda Michal—the work and creativity you and your team put into the Student Wellness Pilot Project Foundation Grant program was above and beyond.
To Evanlene Melting-Tallow from Linda Michal—Thanks for the great work you did with the American Indian heritage Week and the Writing Event.
To Corky, Heather, Steve, Randy and Rhonda in the Copy Center from the HR gals—thank you for your speedy assistance and great attitude copying and mailing the benefits packages to over 500 employees. You all ROCK!
To Joel Akins from Andrea and Teresa in HR—Thanks for your help with our last minute modifications to the benefits fair set-up. We truly appreciate your great attitude!
Raffle Prize Winners:
Robin McLeod won the Fort. Ground Grill gift certificate.
Josh Gittel won an NIC coffee mug
Good of the Order:
· Watch NIC Now for the annual Alumni Award Nominations and nominate your fellow colleagues or a community member.
· The POST graduation ceremony is tomorrow.
Adjourned: 12:55 pm